8.09.2013

making a home office

You guys are rockin' the vote over there & so far, every day photos are winning. Today was set aside for some intense office organizing. While these photos are less than invigorating, my brain is FRIED & my back has gone on strike, so it feels like I got a lot accomplished. It's pretty amazing how much stuff I've accumulated over 2.5 years of marriage. Eek.


As mentioned in my last post, I'm working from home for the most part now. For that split second that we thought we were going to move into a new apartment this summer, we were looking mostly for two bedroom apartments, allowing for me to use one of the bedrooms as an office (& craft storage, because I am a craft supply hoarder, apparently) & use the dining space for actual dining. You see, Jared had started referring to our kitchen table as the "craft table" without even realizing it. Perhaps because it was constantly covered in crafts/wrapping paper/art supplies.

Instead! Our lease was renewed without any notice (*shakes fist at sky*) & we were trapped in our very cute but very closet-less apartment for yet another year. I've coped the past month, using the couch or kitchen counter as my desk. I'm here to tell you that this is not the functional option. In fact, when you combine no desk space with derrière flattening, it's pretty much THE WORST option.

Plan Make This One Bedroom Apartment Earn Its Keep was quickly set into motion. We decided to quit pretending that we'll be eating dinner at a table anytime soon, & turn the dining room into an office. With a tear in my eye, I took our kitchen table back to my parents', since it's a family heirloom & will probably make a younger sister's first apartment complete somday. The next step was gutting all the plastic tubs & drawers & boxes that had been stuffed with craft/hobby guts from the past three years. I inventoried all the piles & set off to Ikea with "STORAGE CONTAINERS" written in my most serial killer-esque handwriting. 

Today's activity was putting together the new Ikea boxes, which was 300% more complicated than you could possibly anticipate, then organizing aaaaaaaaaall my favorite things into boxed, labeled glory. I may have actually given myself a hunchback, but BY GUM, it's nearly complete. Jared declared that it had been too long since he'd used power tools & flexed his manly muscles, so he is building our new shelves, & his design is pretty thrilling.

There's still a lot to do, but I am hoping that by this time next week, I'll have most of the pieces in place to be comfortably working from home. I will say that I've gotten pretty good at giving myself excuses to get up from the couch to stretch my muscles. Like, face contouring & banana bread making. The important things in life.

Happy weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post and giggled at many times! good luck with the muscle flexing, I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad to hear! & yes, I'm waiting with bated breath to see how these shelves turn out ;) We'll be sure to share!

      Delete

because lezz be frandz.