12.10.2013

it's christmas time in the city


Sharing our annual peek at Christmas in our little home because our Christmas cards are finally in the mail, & I'm free to move on with my life. I made our cards this year, rather than ordering them, & well... I'll just say that I'm really glad I have another 12 months before it's time to do that again.

We decided to take a more thrifty approach to our Christmas decor this year, & when I say we, I mean that I had to bottle my inner-Christmas elf while Jared talked me through it. & when I say a more thrifty approach, I mean that we didn't buy any new decorations & for the very first time in either of our lives, we didn't get a real Christmas tree. *GASP* It seems like the universe divides pretty evenly into real vs. artificial tree lovers, & we both fall on the real tree side of Christmas. I specifically remember when we first met & it dawned on me that I didn't know where this new beau stood on the Christmas tree spectrum. Spoiler: He answered correctly.

HOWEVER. We have this totally beautiful and completely evil flokati rug in our family room that makes me feel like we live in a magazine, & yet also makes me want to set it on fire. Last year was our first year with a tree & the flokati, & we are still picking pine needles out of the rug. EVIL, I tell you. So, when a white Christmas tree came our way this year (thanks, Amelia!), we both jumped at the opportunity. We totally miss the Christmas tree smell, but there's like garlands & candles for that.

So, we broke our real Christmas tree tradition, but! We're in our third year of the Christmas Movie Stack, which I think officially qualifies it as a tradition. The first week of December, we pull out all of the Christmas movie "must sees" that we own, shuffle them into a stack (although Elf & the Jim Carrey's Grinch are always the first two) & watch whatever movie is on top whenever we are both at home for a cold evening in. We don't own a few of our other favorites, like A Christmas Story, It's A Wonderful Life (Jared's favorite) & Home Alone... But our collection steadily grows every year. We're getting there. & before anyone questions what When Harry Met Sally is doing in this stack, know that I just simply adore this movie & it's New Years-Eve-y, so it stays.

It's day three of freezing temperatures & yet, rain instead of snow here in Norfolk. I'm currently avoiding Instagram because my heart can't take all the pictures people are posting of their snow. I WANT SNOW. WHY NOT ME. So enjoy it, friends. Send some snowy thoughts our direction!


p.s. See our Christmas' past!
2012
2011

8 comments:

  1. Kelsey, I do believe your photos only get lovelier and lovelier with every new post. (is that even possible?!) I'm loving the simple yet charming Christmas decorations you've put up. I feel holiday decor can often be tacky, but you executed it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, you just know how to give the best compliments that make a girl all glow-y. It's hilarious to look back at the past Christmas posts & watch the photo editing styles change... I blame Taza ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the move stack idea. Sweet. :) Although, don't I see 'It's a Wonderful Life' amongst them? And as for the snow...that was very big of you to 'like' my IG photo, then, given your jealousy. Sorry to contribute to your heartbreak. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're definitely still working on the Christmas movie collection - It's Jared's favorite Christmas movie, but not one of my favorites at ALL... Yay marriage ;)

      I'm living vicariously through all of you snowed-in people. It's all sunshine & 35 degree weather here. We always get the cold without the snow!

      Delete
    2. Ha, no, I just meant that you said you didn't own IAWL yet, but I thought I saw it in your stack. So, perhaps you borrowed it. :)

      It's our Christmas Eve tradition to watch that one...but I'm usually happy just watching the last 30 minutes. ;)

      Delete
    3. Hahaha EM. Jared had to point out to me what you were saying... Apparently he did buy & sneak It's a Wonderful Life into the pile, & I somehow didn't notice it this whole time ;)

      Delete
  3. okay i reallyyyy have been wanting a white tree! i'm tempted to just go buy one of those tiny ones to put in our room :) your place is adorable and decorated so cute! happy holidays kelsey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! It's made my Christmas dreams come true in ways I never knew! Thanks, babe :)

      Delete

because lezz be frandz.